Tuesday, April 17, 2007

On Becoming a Man

A milestone was reached in our house this week. Don't worry it's nothing too graphic. We were in a hurry to get to church Sunday night. I was in the only bathroom that is technically inside our house trying to get ready when Nathan (yes, Mr. Whimsy himself) comes to the door. I give him my standard can I help you? raised eyebrow and he informs me that he needs to potty. Since I am looking into the sweet face of my oldest but still baby boy, I see no problem. I tell him to come on in but I need to finish my make up.

Nathan takes a step forward then shifts back again and says "what do you want me to do?" In my mind I'm thinking he just wasn't listening. In his mind, he's thinking that his mom has completely lost it. I repeat the instructions to come on in while I get ready and take care of his business. He looks at me, perplexed; raises his little index finger and as respectfully as possible says "you're going to stay in here while I go to the, uh, no. I don't think so, Mom."

For a brief moment I was tempted to remind him that he did not allow me to potty alone for the first four years of his life but I thought better of it. My little Munchkin Jeans is growing up...without an Oedipus complex!

No comments: