Monday, August 25, 2008

Going Public

"The eagles have landed." Tim reported after dropping the two oldest off for their first day at public school. Tim said that many parents were walking their kids in but Nathan made it perfectly clear that he was not in need of assistance.

I thought I would melt into a puddle of mush but I'm taking it pretty well so far. It helps that they annoyed us both by waking Bella up at 6:30 am even though there was no reason for them to be awake that early, thereby leaving me with a grumpy toddler. Made me glad to see the little snots go. (not really!)

I know that many of you out there have very strong convictions about how, when, or where children should be educated. I'm okay with that. We started home school knowing that we would evaluate every year and decide how to proceed. We are going into public school with the same notion. I heard a guy from one of the home school conventions say something to this effect:

(not a direct quote)
I think God makes it clear that our children's education is up to us. Whatever means we choose or whatever level of involvement we contribute to it is also up to us. The end result, however, will not be the fault of any teacher, administration, or curriculum. The responsibility lies with us to teach and with our children to learn.

In sending Mamoune and Nathan to school, we have by no means washed our hands of them. Though I might actually get to wash my hair more than twice a week in their absence. ;-) We will be right there pulling for them, helping them, cheering them, prodding them, and so on. Just wanted to clarify where we are coming from in case this decision shatters any one's image of me. Oh wait, who am I kidding? I shattered that a long time ago.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the first day send off and those who were left behind.


Nathan GQing his back pack and Mamoune with a smile that says,
"I'm not nervous, really I'm not."


"Seriously? How many pictures are you going to take?"

"Well, at least I got a new back-pack out of this."

"What do mean a diaper bag doesn't count?"

1 comment:

Nancy said...

So, how did it go? How was mom for the rest of the day and were the kids excited when they got home? We want details!