Sunday, December 9, 2007

Another One Bites the Dust

He fought a good fight but in the wee hours of morning the enemy overtook him and Tim became the fifth victim of the stomach bug. He held out the longest and was so disappointed. "I thought I had it beat," he said weakly just as I emptied clear evidence that "it" was definitely beating him.

He is resting now and the kids and I are doing some cleaning. I am so thankful for the crazy rise in temperature. It's nice to open the windows and air out after a week like this.

Tim was wondering yesterday, what kind of world we live in where I can write stories about vomit and diarrhea and other people actually read them. It's a good question. I've been pondering it and here's my best guess: it's all about relating to something outside of ourselves. It's the same reason millions of us watched Seinfeld -the show about nothing, and why stand up comics are so entertaining. If we can catch a glimpse of ourselves in someone else's experiences or observations -we feel validated.

When someone whose blog I read is going through stressful times and gets ticked off and blows their cool (totally hypothetical =)) I think to myself, yes, I am not the only freak out there. And as a Christian, blogs offer an amazing connection to the body of Christ. To think that believers across the globe can say "I've been right where you are," or "I see you hurting and I'm praying for you," or even "you are cracking me up" gives new meaning to the admonition in Romans 12:15 to "rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep."

OR I could be way off base and it's really our innate depravity that gives us pleasure in the suffering and misfortune of others.

That being said -to those of you who have endured the recent posts about body function and human waste for whatever reason -THANK YOU!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Amen to that blog Girl! I think it shows us all that we are only just human to be able to read about all the stuff that goes on in other's households. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way or that - otherwise I'd be oddly strange - ok...no comments there please. God makes us all so wonderfully different, but some feelings/emotions/thoughts are the same no matter who you are. It's nice to know that on this Earth - there are others that God has given us to sit and talk to and share with and know we won't be judged b/c the other person has prob been there and done that too!

The Millenders said...

Nice job with the title, Mrs. Songburst! For the record: there has been only ONE Songburst night that you weren't invited to, and the guest brought the game. (Evidently so that she could whip our tails!)

But yes, it is a challenge! I want to see how long you can do it and keep the titles relevant to the actual post. Caroling was much fun today, and a real blessing to all of us. We missed you guys, but are glad you kept to yourself for now!

nancy said...

I'm sorry I haven't read your blog in a week. Just got caught up. I sure would have gone down and helped out.
We missed you today, though thank God for the Duncans. Yeah, Ron and I didn't have to laugh our way through any songs today.
If you're having a bad tomorrow here's a title for you. (Don't tell Ron I helped you)
Rainy Days and Monday's Always get me down.
Course, I hope you have a much better day so you don't have to use that one.

The Sexton Crew said...

I won't tell Ron if you won't. ;-)