Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Only the Good Die Young

Appropriate title. Horrible song. Is it true? Clearly not. But here's my question: what does "good" mean?

I saw a brief interview with a friend of Robert Hawkins' (Omaha shootings) in which he said of Hawkins, "He wasn't a monster...he was a good person." Really? Compared to whom? He just mowed down eight people in a shopping mall two weeks before Christmas! What the heck???



I don't know why this is surprising since the number one answer given for why someone should make it to heaven is "I'm a good person." Again, I have to ask by what standard? So, for the sake of analysis, let's remove the element of faith and just based on a list of people I consider to be really good humans see where someone like me would fall on the "Goodness will get me to heaven" scale.

Good People
Mother Teresa, Mahatma Gandhi, Oprah Winfrey
How does Amie compare? Never won a Nobel Peace Prize; never led a peaceful revolution; never done humanitarian work in South Africa

Yikes. That doesn't work out so well for me. Maybe I'm coming at it from the wrong angle. Let's try it this way.

Bad People
Adolph Hitler, Osama bin Laden, Ted Bundy
How does Amie compare? Never incited a world war; never orchestrated a terrorist attack; never raped and bludgeoned an unconfirmed number of victims

Yes! I am sooo getting into heaven now. As long as God lets ME choose the standard of good or bad by which I am measured, it shouldn't be a problem. whew. But then I wonder...

Did the guys who flew into the trade center think they were doing something good? If so, does it count as good? Or does the general population's perception that it was bad negate their "good" motivation? Or does my thinking that what they did was bad even though they think it's good make me bad for saying their good is bad? Or are they bad for thinking that what I say is bad is good?

Dang it! If only there was some way to be reconciled to God without having to compare myself to other people!!


"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life."
John 3:16

Wow! That is good news!


(Want to know more about this Son who gives eternal life? Email us at amiefamie@myembarq.com)

4 comments:

The Millenders said...

I LOVE the new twist the song titles have given the blog. "oops, I did it again" would have been great for the goofy tooth fairy post.

Nice post. Thank God its not me compared to you -- or whoever! Also enjoyed your stories about your grandparents (Amie's Literary Brain dump for anyone else reading this) the other night when I was supposed to be studying for an exam.

The Sexton Crew said...

You're right -I went with the wrong Brittany song. ptooey.

Don't think you can blame me if you flunk out of seminary. Then again, if you fail, will then still send you guys to Africa? hmmmm. I'll be posting a 400 page novel in time for next semester. =)

nancy said...

I'm with you Amie. Let's say we put steroids in their drinks and make them each gain 75 pounds or so. That ought to keep them here for a little longer.
I also loved the analogies in your blog entry
Look, I'm two for two days in a row and reading on time. (does that make me good?)

T and T Livesay said...

You can be compared to NONE. You were bought with a price and you are forgiven.

You also seem to be one of the very most favoritest people of mine on the face of the earth ...

which could be bad news for your shot at Heaven or being considered "good."

sorry about that.