Saturday, January 5, 2008

Unforgettable

Today is Tim's birthday! And had there been any fear that I would forget -the kids had my back. I don't know when they planned it or how they timed it so well, but the minute he sat up in bed this morning (at about 7:30) there they were singing "happy birthday." I have no idea how long they'd been standing there waiting for signs of life but they did not miss their cue and it was a very sweet surprise.

Not much else is happening. The kids each have their first Upward basketball game today so that is entertaining to say the least.

There was one billboard that we saw on the way home that was unforgettable. I WISH I had gotten a picture of it but I wasn't quick enough. (and Tim isn't very keen on tracking backwards for photo ops when we are still several hours from home.) But just imagine this...

A billboard with a man in a police uniform plastered across it. His name in HUGE letters
SHERIFF Joe Peabody
-his name wasn't really Joe Peabody. We can't remember his actual name. Lucky for him. But it's what was under his name that gave us pause followed by raucous laughter. In bold block letters dear Sheriff Peabody let us know that he (like Jackson County) means business...
Violations Will Be Enforced
Gonna let you roll that over in your head for a second.
And now it's hitting you. That's right people, there is a town out there between Raleigh, NC and Atlanta, Georgia where you will commit a violation whether you like it or not! What do you mean you don't want to rob the First National Bank of Peabodyville? You'll rob it, boy, or I'll throw you in the county slammer. These people elected me as Sheriff of this town 'cause they expect me to enforce them violations and by God or my night stick, that's what I intend to do.
We didn't want to find ourselves on the wrong side of the law so... we ran three red lights, did an illegal u-turn, and drove off without paying for our gas. It felt good to support the local authorities.

No comments: